For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10)
I have been walking with the Lord for over forty years, and in that journey, He has given me both specific tasks to fulfill- divine assignments- and an over-arching destiny. Regardless of the season I’ve been in, He has been faithful to lead me on the path.
Here are three foundations that will help you pursue His purpose for you with security and peace, knowing His will for you is not a burden, but a joy! When you walk with God daily, you are daily in the will of God.
Know your identity.
Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground. (Genesis 1:28)
Understanding your identity, and what God has given you through Jesus, is foundational to knowing His will for your life. God’s first mandate to mankind was to increase in number, and to rule over the earth. Because of sin, we lost the right to exercise dominion the way He originally intended us to. Instead of ruling, we became ruled by our flesh.
Thank God for new life in Jesus! Through the death and resurrection of Christ, we have been re-born into new purpose and new identity. According to Romans 5:17, we get to “reign in life” through Jesus. We are given authority to glorify God, to do good works, and to walk, think, act, and love like His Son did.
Listen to the voice of God.
The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. (1 Corinthians 2:10)
Now that you know that you were made with a purpose and given the authority to fulfill that purpose, you’ll want to explore the specifics of God’s plans for your life. Here are three foundations of prayer that will help you to dialogue with your heavenly Father, to listen to His voice and receive His guidance for your life.
- Speak to God, and listen for His voice in response, whether that comes through a sense of urging through His Spirit, through the “still, small voice,” or through some other way.
- Start with a clean slate. If you feel far from God, and unable to communicate with Him because of sin in your life, run to God, not from Him! Confess your sin to God, knowing you can approach Him confidently.
- Pray in the Spirit. One of the ways the Holy Spirit gives you counsel and guidance about what and how to pray is through the gift of tongues. If you have yet to receive this gift, keep asking God for it and expect to get it!
Destiny and Divine Assignments
God has a destiny for your life, and He also has specific divine assignments. These assignments can seem unrelated to your destiny, but they are the good works that God has put in place for you to complete. Not long after I got saved in 1973, I began attending the University of Maryland, where I began a student Bible study. My overall destiny is to reach the nations, specifically in Asia. However, God had a divine assignment for me for a season: to bring Him glory among college students.
Regardless of what season you are in, know that your purpose will always line up with the Great Commission: Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. (Matthew 28:19-20)
God’s desire for your life to is to walk in communion with Him, making disciples and seeing His kingdom come. When you pursue His presence, stay grounded in His word, and allow Him to develop godly character in you, you will remain in the center of His will!
Here are several resources to help guide you and equip you on your journey of discovering and fulfilling purpose in God!
- I encourage you to stay equipped and inspired by the fresh word of the Lord for every new season. You can access teaching from the 2017 Prophetic Destiny Conference, including teaching with Kris Vallotton, Brian Simmons, and Havilah Cunnington.
- The Reformer’s Pledge is a powerful compilation of teaching from men and women who have committed to not only seeing revival but reformation! With authors including Bill Johnson, Heidi Baker, and Lou Engle.
- God’s will is for you to walk in supernatural power to see His Kingdom come! Say Goodbye to Powerless Christianity is a book I wrote on walking in the presence and power of the Holy Spirit, regardless of your specific purpose or calling.