Throughout history the Church has experienced waves of God’s glory. These are outpourings of His manifest presence, revelation of His goodness and displays of His supernatural power.
Today, we call this revival. I believe the Holy Spirit is sovereign in determining the release of revival. But I also believe we have the potential to call upon God, to bring about His Kingdom through prayer and our hunger for Him.
God has repeatedly poured out wave after wave of His Spirit almost like clockwork. Here are a few examples from the latter half of the past century:
- 1948 marked the beginning of the Latter Rain revival in Canada. Many healing evangelists were united and launched under Gordon Lindsey and the Voice of Healing movement, including Oral Roberts and William Branham.
- 1958 saw another visitation, upon Dennis Bennett in Van Nuys, Calif. This led to the beginning of the Charismatic movement.
- In 1967 revival came with the Jesus People Movement, led by Chuck Smith and Calvary Chapel. Reaching new heights in 1971, the movement made the cover of Time magazine.
- Then from 1982 to 1986, John Wimber and his groundbreaking class at Fuller Seminary—on “Signs, Wonders, and Church Growth at the Anaheim Vineyard”—brought another wave of glory. Peter Wagner called this movement the “Third Wave” of a century-long revival.
IMMERSED IN “EVER-INCREASING GLORY”
Because God brings wave after wave of His glory, releasing His goodness and power, it is possible for us to ride each wave of revival until the next. In fact, it is God’s will for us to go from glory to glory.
And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.” – 2 Corinthians 3:18
This means God wants us to immerse ourselves in every single wave of revival, until He comes back or until we go home to be with Him. God’s will is for the whole earth to be full of His glory (Habakkuk 2:14).
Here are a few opportunities to help you plunge deeper into the ever-increasing glory of God invading the earth today:
- Roberts Liardon’s book God’s Generals: The Revivalists recounts the stories of revivals past and will stir your faith for God’s newest move!
- Partner in prayer at Azusa Now and volunteer to help make the event happen!
- Watch the Revival Alliance 2015 conference sessions and join us for our Revival Alliance 2016 Conference as we redig the wells of Azusa street!
GLORY revealed in GOODYEAR